Kitchen remodels are tough even for the best homemakers – they disturb daily routines, they cost money and they can take longer than expected. If you have decided that it is time for kitchen cabinet refacing painting it is important that you go into it with an open mind. You need to explore a number of ideas before you can find one which will work for you. You should keep in mind that it is not only aesthetics that are important – your kitchen cabinets ought to be functional too. Here are some points to keep in mind as you embark on your project:
• You need to come up with a budget that takes into account all aspects of the cabinets remodel. There are many different kinds of cabinet finishes in the market and they come in at different prices so do some comparison shopping before you get started. You ought to be looking for cabinets that are made of good material that will last a long time, that are easy to install and that will complement the rest of the decor in your kitchen.
• When you are choosing the new finish for your cabinets you will take into account the look and the cost but don’t forget about cleaning. Everything in your kitchen gets dirty and if it is difficult to clean you will end up with filthy looking cabinets.
• As you reface and paint your cabinets you should think about putting in additional storage. One of the biggest challenges in modern kitchens is space – there is hardly enough to stash away all pots, pans, appliances, crockery and everything else. With a few clever ideas you can add shelving to your cabinets to create more room for storage.
• Make sure to bring all cabinet doors down before you start working on them. If you paint them when they are still stuck to the hinges you risk spreading paint in areas where it shouldn’t be. Make sure that all doors are dry before they are screwed back into hinges otherwise they will get stuck.
• One of the most important things when it comes to refacing and painting is getting all the old paint off. It should be carefully scraped away and the surface sanded and cleaned before the new coat is applied otherwise it will not take.
• Make sure to cover the floor, the island and any other surface that you don’t want covered in paint – if you don’t you will only be creating additional work for yourself.
• It is important to choose your new paint carefully. Some kinds of paint are too thin and they require several coats before you can achieve the desired effect. Others are so heavy that a couple of coats seems too thick. If you are not sure about what kind of paint is best it is best to talk to an expert on paint and paintwork. You should choose paint that dries fast and doesn’t leave a smell – it costs more but it is worth it.
• The paint color also matters. A color may be in vogue right now, but what happens in a few years time? Unless you plan to remodel your kitchen every year or two it is best to repaint your cabinets with colors that are neutral and that will look great for years to come.
• Be prepared for clean-up – kitchen cabinet refacing painting is just one thing; once you are done there will be a lot of cleaning to do before your kitchen is ready for use once more. You may want to ask the family to chip in for this one.
Should you hire someone for kitchen cabinet refacing painting?
If you are not particularly good with DIY projects you should seriously consider hiring a professional to do the remodel for you. They will help you come up with great designs for your new kitchen and will also help you to choose the right kinds of paint. Better yet, they will do the job professionally and it will be finished fast.
Not all kitchen cabinet refacing painting companies are the same so you ought to be careful about whom you hire. Look for one that has lots of experience – they should have done kitchens for more than 5 years. They should be able to show you photo samples of kitchen cabinets that they have painted in the last year as well as references that you can call. Make sure that you get a quote before they get started to avoid disagreements later on.