Kitchen remodeling is a massive and expensive project for any homeowner. The biggest chunk of kitchen remodel cost goes to the kitchen cabinet. Installing new cabinetry require a significant budget.
Fortunately, you don’t have to install new cabinetry if you are looking to renovate your kitchen as you can achieve a fresh, new look by repainting your cabinets.
You will be amazed by what a fresh coat of paint can transform the appearance of your kitchen. If you want to revive your dark, faded cabinets, consider repainting them to give them a bright, inviting appearance.
To transform your kitchen cabinet by painting, you need to make a decision whether to undertake the painting job yourself, or you will hire a professional kitchen cabinet painter.
In this guide, we will walk you through what it takes to go the DIY way and also what benefits you will get by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Afterward, we will discuss the criteria you can use to hire the best cabinet painter in your locality.
Let’s get started…
Should you consider to do the work of kitchen cabinet painting yourself, there are several decisions you will have to make including;
- Consider the ideal cabinet finish for your kitchen
The final appearance of your cabinet is very important. That’s why you must take time to determine the type of finish your cabinet needs. This is dictated by the material they are made of. For instance, if your cabinets are made of wood veneers, wood, and metal, they will be easier to repaint. However, if they are made of melamine or laminate, it will be difficult to repaint them, and even if they are repainted, you might not be amazed by the results.
After deciding your cabinets can be repainted successfully, then the next decision to make is the paint finish they need. Many kitchen cabinet painting experts recommend using oil-based paints as they create a harder surface when they dry. This will work to your advantage, considering the busy nature of the kitchen.
However, on the downside, using oil-based paints is challenging. This is because the oils have an unpleasant smell and take time to dry. You can opt to use a latex satin finish as they are easier to work with than oil-based paints.
The ultimate results should be to have a surface that is durable and easy to wipe. You want a paint job that will last for several years. Therefore, choose satin, gloss, or semi-gloss paints- they create harder finishes that will last.
- Decide the ideal color to paint your kitchen cabinets
This is a major decision you have to make as you will need to choose a color that will make you feel motivated to work in your kitchen. As you compare different color options, keep in mind the style you want to achieve. Here are several tips to make it easier for you to choose the best color for your kitchen cabinet;
- Find inspiration. You can get inspiration from art, accessory, furniture, or fixture in the room than doing things the other way round. Matching your cabinet color with the color of your walls or an existing fixture is an easier place to start.
- Use samples. You can get paint chips from your local paint store and bring them home to examine in your kitchen. Take with you a variety of color samples in different shades and place them in your kitchen. See what works best and what will help you achieve the overall style you have in mind.
- Choose the type of paint to use. After selecting your ideal color, it is important to choose high-quality paint. Remember that you are saving money by not hiring a professional and not replacing your cabinets; therefore, you can spend a little extra to get quality paints. This will make a huge difference in the final results.
- Come up with creative combinations
You need to be creative with your kitchen cabinet colors. This is why you should not be afraid to try something different. Many homeowners fear to get creative and personalize their cabinets with fear of lowering the resale value. However, keeping things neutral or maintaining the status quo hampers creativity.
Therefore, get creative with your cabinet colors since you are the one who lives there. Unless you are carrying out kitchen cabinet painting job to prepare your home for sale, feel free to make it attractive and inviting to you rather than achieving a design that you hope someone else will like. After all, you can always repaint your cabinets if you decide to sell your home or you get bored with the current one.
Therefore, don’t be afraid to combine colors. Use combinations to create contrasts. For instance, a kitchen island can take a different color from perimeter cabinets to create a contrast. This is an upcoming trend in kitchen designs.
- Decide on what to use- spray paint or brush?
Should you brush it on or spray it on? This is a decision you have to make. Both methods have their pros and cons. Here is how they compare;
- Spraying paint will result in a cleaner, smoother finish than using a brush
- Spraying requires you to put rags and cover cloths on the surrounding walls to keep them from splashing paint
- If your kitchen cabinet have intricate designs and patterns, spraying might be the best way of applying paint to ensure it reaches the crannies and nooks
- To spray, you need to rent or buy a sprayer, which will add to your kitchen remodel cost
- Brushing is less complicated and works well for cabinets with simple designs.
Those are some of the major decisions you will have to make should you decide to undertake kitchen cabinet painting job yourself. To help make your painting job easier, here are several tips you can use.
Tips to Make Painting Kitchen Cabinets Work Easier
Since you want to tackle this project yourself, let’s discuss the tips to make this work as easy as possible;
- Take your time– Many homeowners make a mistake of categorizing kitchen cabinet painting work as a simple task and thus designate limited time for the project. However, it is important not to rush through the painting process. Thoroughly clean your cabinet and apply paint as required to have a long-lasting finish.
- Buy quality supplies– Remember that you are already saving money by doing away with professionals and not replacing the whole cabinets. Therefore, don’t buy cheap brushes and rollers as they will cost you a fine finish and make your painting job take extra time than planned.
- Save clean-up time. In the evening or whenever you want to take a break from painting, wrap your rollers using plastic bags and place them in a refrigerator. This will prevent them from drying out, and thus save you from having to wash them out every time you are not painting. Before you resume painting, remove them from your refrigerator and allow them to breathe for 15 minutes.
- Have a convenient worktable in your kitchen where you can place your painting supplies. You can make a simple worktable using 2X4 boards.
- Use painting pyramids. These props help to speed up your painting process by allowing you to paint the other side of your cabinet doors without having to wait for one side to dry. You can get them at an affordable price from your local hardware store
- Ensure there is proper lighting. Painting under poorly lit condition will be tiresome and can make you miss drips. You may even find your cabinets having uneven painted sections.
- Use Bondo instead of wood filler to repair nicks and cracks in your cabinet. It works great.
- Apply multiple coats. For best final results, you should apply several light coats rather than one heavy coat.
- If you find it challenging, call in the pros. Kitchen cabinet painting is not an easy task, which is why you should leave it to the professionals. You can call your local painting contractor to get the estimated cost to paint kitchen cabinets.
Well, we hope that the above guide to painting kitchen cabinets yourself will help you in your kitchen remodeling project.
However, if you still feel incapable of doing the work yourself, it is important to hire professional cabinet painters to do the work. Let’s discuss the benefits of hiring a painting contractor
Advantages of Hiring a Professional Kitchen Cabinet Painter
There are pros and cons of painting your kitchen cabinets yourself. If done right, then you can save money. However, if you value your leisure time, then this project will cost you more. Painting your kitchen cabinets yourself require skills and patience- it can take weeks to finish. However, with a professional, you are assured of quality work in a short time.
Here are the benefits of having a professional do the kitchen cabinet painting job for you;
- Professionals will get the job done right the first time
Because of their skills and experience, professionals know what they are doing. They have done the work countless times before, and thus have the needed experience to complete the work on time and do it perfectly. Besides, hiring a pro means you will be saved the hassles and headaches that come with painting.
- Painting equipment comes at a cost
As mentioned above, if your cabinet has a complex design, then you will need a sprayer to do the work. Quality paint sprayers are pricy and can range from $1000 to $8000. And although you can rent one for the project, professional painters know how to use paint sprayers the right way to ensure a smooth, flawless finish.
- Professional painters are efficient and fast
It can take weeks for you to finish painting your cabinets, but if you hire the right professionals, they can do the work in 2-3 days. Why do it yourself then?
- They provide warranties for their work
When you hire reputable and reliable professionals, you will get to enjoy a warranty for their work. Therefore, in case anything goes wrong within the warranty period, it can get fixed without you having to incur any cost.
- High-quality results
Professionals are keen on details, and thus will deliver quality results. They will prepare your cabinets as required and use a protective finish to ensure your kitchen cabinets look flawless and last longer.
If you decide to leave this job to the pros, how can you identify the right professionals? There are countless contractors to choose from. How do you know who to hire?
To help you with your search, here are a few questions to ask before hiring professional painting services in Murrieta and Temecula CA;
Questions to Ask a Professional Painters to Know the Best One for Your Kitchen Cabinet Painting Job
Q1- Are Cabinets Your Specialty?
Painting cabinets require a lot of experience and special skills for them to turn out looking great and flawless. Not all painters can tackle this job efficiently, which is why you need to know if a painter has the experience and skills needed to paint and refinish your cabinets.
Q2- What is your painting process?
This question will help reveal if the contractor knows what they are doing. To paint cabinets, you have to clean, sand, and prime. Adding a primer layer will give a paint long-lasting finish.
Q3- Can I see several samples of your work?
A professional painting contractor who has been in the cabinet painting job for some time will not shy away from showing you their past work. This can be in the form of sample boards or pictures. By looking at the pictures, you will know if a painter is skilled and keen to details. It can also serve as the basis for your comparison.
Q4- Are you insured?
While this may not seem a bigger issue, especially with cabinet painting, accidents do occur, and it is important to know that you are not liable to pay for the damages and injuries that occur during the painting process. Therefore, verify that your contractor has obtained liability insurance to keep your assets protected.
Q5- Do you offer warranties? What does it cover?
When you hire a contractor for a cabinet painting job, you will need some assurances in the form of warranties. Knowing how long the warranty period lasts and what it covers will give you an idea of the quality of work a contractor does. However, be wary of contractors who give unrealistic warranties such as 10-year or 20-year warranty period on the painting job. Often, 1-year warranties are okay since most failures will begin to show within the first year.
As you can see, hiring a professional pays off, especially when it comes to the quality of work and efficiency. It may cost you more money, but it will save you the hassles and headaches that come with painting work.
Wall Works Kitchen Cabinet Painting Services
If you decide to leave your kitchen cabinet painting job to the pros, contact Wall Works. Having been in business since 1986, you can rest assured that we have all it takes to transform your kitchen cabinets by repainting and refinishing to give your kitchen a new, fresh look.
The quality of our work is unparalleled, and our reputation speaks for us. We are your best choice in Murrieta and Temecula CA when it comes to cabinet painting, and we are fully licensed and insured.
Contact us today for a free estimate on kitchen remodel cost and schedules. We will be happy and more than willing to help you transform your kitchen cabinets through painting. Call us at 951-695-5588.